The U.S. workforce is more than 100 million full-time employees and 21% of those employees are what a recent Gallup study calls “engaged at work”. That means that the remaining 79% of employees are actively disengaged or worse, not engaged at all.
Engaged – 21% of employees
Employees that are engaged in the workplace enjoy their jobs as well as the company they work for. These employees work hard to make their organization better and better every day. Below are some qualities of engaged employees:
Want to feel like part of the team
Desire real-time feedback
Prefer perks and rewards to money or paid time-off.
Actively disengaged employees are the kind of people who truly do not enjoy their jobs. They are often very unhappy in the workplace and dislike their responsibilities, managers, or company they work for. Disengaged employees often ruin the atmosphere engaged employees work hard to build. Below are qualities these kinds of employees typically possess:
Lack opportunities to interact with co-workers
Are subject to bad management
Only receive annual performance reviews
Over one-half of employees in the U.S. are not engaged in the workplace. This means they are neutral; they show up to work and do their job and that’s about it. These kind of employees are not toxic to their workplace environment but they do not add anything of value either.
Every company has a version of the employees described above. These employees largely determine the success of the company from meeting goals, providing customer support, or increasing revenue. Every year in the U.S., $450 to $550 billion is lost in productivity costs.
These numbers may be shocking, but the good news is that they can be reduced with a few adjustments. We wrote about some tips here and here if you’re interested in learning more.
Check out www.tangocard.com for more info on how to easily send digital rewards recipients will love!
Want more thought leadership from Tango Card? Sign up here to be alerted when we post new content, host webinars, and speak at events.
Kasia may be a fresh face on the Tango Card marketing team but her background in hospitality and PR make her the total package when it comes to telling Tango Card customers’ stories and organizing our customer advocate program. She also blends perfectly on the marketing team, where the two main themes are German Shepherds and tequila.