Organizations with motivated employees succeed. Competition and diverse workforce composition requires building a culture that makes workers feel included and meaningful to the organization. Motivating employees is easy with a little creativity.
We’ve compiled a starter list of 10 ways to reward and recognize employees. Make someone’s day and spread joy with modern rewards and recognition.
- Reward and recognize effort, not just performance. Performance is important, but so are behaviors like contributing ideas, collaborating and supporting others. Recognizing this behavior can reinforce and motivate continued effort.
- Document and share the memories. Milestones, events achievement deserve to be remembered – and then recognized. Document moments when teams became closer or achieved together. You’ll thank yourself when it comes time to motivate.
- Let peers nominate other peers for achievements, dedication and hard work. Start a poll and then share the results. Making recognition public multiplies the feel good effect.
- Say “thank you,” and then say “thank you” again. Be specific. The validation and encouragement you provide is more impactful than most people assume.
- Connect employees with mentors and other professionals. Career growth ranks consistently as one of the top 3 drivers of employee engagement.
- Send a small reward with your recognition. Rewards that surprise, and are unexpected are remembered – no matter how big or small. Give them choice in their rewards or give them something they’ll use and love. Gift cards are a no brainer.
- Think about their families. Consider rewards that can be given to, or shared with families and friends.
- Start a sports league or do a wellness activity. Getting active and getting out of the office can be a huge energy and morale booster. It’s an opportunity to bond.
- Send employees to see their favorite sports teams. Nothing is more exciting
- Give money towards a vacation. The stipulation? When they get back they have to present to the company on where they went and what they did.
Have an idea or recall a reward you received that you loved? Share it in the comments below and stay tuned for more creative ideas!